Tuesday, January 8, 2013

DONE AND ON EXHIBIT

The final work is done. Final with the exception of many little things I still want to do, but they will wait until I get caught up with the rest of my life.

I must admit that after I checked that all soldered wiring worked, I managed to break loose a connection when I was reassembling everything so that is one thing that will need fixing.

When I tried my original idea of attaching the ceiling cover over the wires with velcro I found that it was too thick so I redid it using double sided tape. 

The photo shows the completed ceiling made from textured wallpaper and the hanging lights have been carefully inserted through holes. Not shown are the flattened bell caps used to add the finishing touch.


I finally slid the completed floor into the slot and checked the lighting. That was where one wire was disconnected - the wiring for the lights on the outside patio. 

Next the front of the building was completed with a printed sign for the shoppe. I spent a bit of time trying to find my original print but finally redid it. (one of the disadvantages of being a Goddess of Chaos!) The panel will eventually be hinged using the tube hinge shown in an earlier blog post, but for the show it was left loose and partially opened.

It was time to take it to the art center for the exhibit! After all was installed I took a number of photos on opening night and when I realized there wasn't adequate lighting to see all the back areas of the building, someone suggested propping the removable top open and that was the perfect solution.


Cellar with oven lit

The parlor area before opening the roof

    Sweeney's Barber Shop and the parlor after roof was lifted.

    I was told that the show was a big success and that my offering was well received. I was quite happy with the results. I have been traveling so will have to collect my exhibit when I return but altogether I have enjoyed this project and it was a huge learning experience for me. I invented many of the techniques I used here (at least I have never seen them anywhere else) and I have tried herein to show how some things were done. If anyone has questions I am happy to try to answer them.









No comments:

Post a Comment